Monday, October 3, 2016

Some Forgotten Stories


Board of Managers of the Missouri Confederate Home 1925
(Confederate Memorial State Historic Site)

I had the privilege of working as a historic interpreter for over a decade at Confederate Memorial State Historic Site in Higginsville, Missouri.  The facility is located on the site of the former Missouri Confederate Soldiers Home. It consists of a 90 acre park and adjoining 35 acre historic site.  The historic site includes the four remaining original Confederate Home buildings; the hospital, farm house, residence cottage and chapel. Only the chapel is open to the public. The most interesting area, at least to me, is the 3 1/2 acre cemetery containing the graves of about 800 Confederate veterans, wives, widows and one infant child; each one with a story. 

Part of my job, the fun part, as an historic interpreter was learning and sharing the stories of the former residents of the Confederate Home. I got to know a lot about them. Each applicant to the Confederate Home had to fill out a form containing biographical and service information.  In addition, those admitted were frequently mentioned in local newspapers, and occasionally in county and local histories. Personal memoirs and information provided by relatives who stopped by the office, or via emails also helped.  I was soon able to flesh out their stories.  Some of these stories were quite extensive, covering not only what they did during the war, but also what they did before and after it.  On the other hand, at the other end of the scale, some of the stories were barely much more than what the person gave in their application.  (Okay crass commercial warning here!)  If any one's interested, I've put all of these stories in a book, "Eight Hundred Voices", which should be available soon at Burnt District Press.  In the meantime, I want to share some of those stories with you in this blog.

We Civil War enthusiasts often get caught up in the battles and leaders and forget that for most people of that time the Civil War was a personal event that affected their lives.  They were ordinary people like you and I, who were caught up in an extraordinary event. Their stories, which are often both moving and fascinating, should not be forgotten.  

Although because of my long association with a "Confederate" site, most of my stories are about Southern soldiers, I want to welcome stories from both sides.  If you have any stories or photos to share please contact me.  I'm not just talking to you "Rebs" out there.  I want to here from any "Yanks", as well.  Also not just "the white folks". If you have stories/pictures about US Colored Troops or CS "body servants" I'd like to hear from you all as well. 

I've heard it said that over 200 million Americans have at least one Civil War ancestor.  Some have more than that, including many with ancestors on both sides.  My great-grandfather served in the Union navy.  He was only 15 years old when he signed on to the USS Albatross. He served for just one year but did see action in a major battle, Mobile Bay, while serving as a 1st Class Boy on board the USS Seminole.  A relative of my ex-wife won the Medal of Honor at Bristoe Station, VA in 1863.  Check back for more details on these and other vets. And, again, I'd like to hear some stories that I know you all have, about your ancestors or other Civil War vets. 





No comments:

Post a Comment